Guide To Choosing Student Accommodation When In Brisbane
Brisbane is a popular education hub in Australia. It is home to two universities: the University of Queensland and the Queensland University of Technology. It also has ten campuses from six Australian universities, including CQUniversity, Australian Catholic University, and Griffith University.
As a result, numerous international students come to Brisbane for higher education. If you have chosen Brisbane as your international study destination, you need to find suitable student accommodation. You have several options in student accommodation in Brisbane. Here is a guide to help you choose the best accommodation when studying in Brisbane.
Look for Student Accommodations That Suit Your Budget.
Brisbane is the capital of Queensland. As per recent data, at least 100000 university students live in Brisbane. When you are looking for student accommodation, the most important factor you need to consider is affordability. Before beginning your search, it is wise to set a budget.
There are several accommodation types available like University halls, private student halls, and private accommodation. You can find several purpose-built student accommodations located near university campuses. As per recent data, you could spend $200 to $500 per week for managed student accommodation and $450-$550 per week for a room in a residential college.
Thus, you can see there is a massive difference in the costs between different student accommodation options. You need to consider your budget and location while selecting one for you.
Various Accommodation Options to Choose From
When selecting a managed or purpose-built student accommodation, you need to look at all available options. Some of the accommodation types you get in purpose-built student accommodation are
- Single Bedroom, Shared bathroom – this accommodation type will give you a room to yourself, but you will have to use the shared toilets and showers. This is a great way to keep the price low without compromising your privacy.
- Single Bedroom, Share Apartment – this accommodation has 5 to 6 single bedrooms with a private bathroom and study area. The dining area, kitchen, and lounge are designated as shared/common areas for all flatmates.
- Studio apartment rooms – This accommodation type gives you your own bedroom, bathroom, and study space. In this accommodation model, you get a double bed, secure swipe card entry, a well-appointed kitchenette, and an eating space. This offers the highest level of comfort, convenience and privacy, but will cost significantly more.
Do Your Research
As cliche as it sounds, one of the most important things you need to do is research each accommodation type thoroughly. You must also visit these accommodations to understand what facilities they offer and speak to the person in charge about the rates.
When visiting any accommodation, remember to note down things like the location, parking, proximity to public transportation, room size, bed size, and a list of all amenities provided as part of your rental plan. Some of the amenities offered by the best student accommodations are:
- Free unlimited high-speed Wi-Fi
- Space to study
- Gym and Exercise area
- Social Spaces
- Onsite Laundry facilities
you want to choose the best accommodation when studying in Brisbane, you will
have to spend a fair amount of time and effort knowing everything about the
place to ensure you make the right choice.
Weigh Up the Advantages and Disadvantages
Every accommodation type you consider will have some advantages and disadvantages. You need to weigh out the pros and cons while making a decision. Your safety and comfort are two critical aspects that should not be overlooked when choosing student accommodation.
As per recent data, the crime rate in Brisbane is relatively low, and it is a safe city by world standards. Nonetheless, you must look for student accommodation that offers good security and support to the residing students. For example, CCTV, electronic card access, and 24×7 onsite support are some features that will make the student feel safe when away from home.