It is a known fact that women’s sexual and reproductive health is a more talked about and researched topic. To take care of their reproductive health, women can visit their gynecologist and take their advice on various reproductive health issues they’re facing. But when it comes to men’s sexual health and wellness, it is a little trickier. The reason behind this is the lack of awareness about men’s sexual health and wellness. To take care of men’s reproductive health and wellness, the medical fraternity has two branches to offer – andrologist and sexologist in meerut.
Both of these medical branches work in different arenas of men’s sexual health and wellness. To take care of your complete reproductive health, you can visit either of these specialists to cater to your issues. Before we get on to the differences between an andrologist and a sexologist let’s first understand what each term means.
What is an Andrologist?
Andrologists are specialists who primarily look after a particular area of urology dealing with conditions that affect male fertility or sexual wellness. This branch of urology mainly deals with conditions that affect the external male genitalia, cryptorchidism (undescended testis), or any injuries that affect your sexual ability. Since your sexual wellness can be affected secondarily by factors such as cardiovascular disturbances and renal insufficiency, andrologists also collaborate with specialists of these condition to provide complete medical care.
Furthermore, an andrologist also deals with sperm harvesting for in-vitro fertilization or artificial insemination or other reproductive procedures. They also specialise in vasectomy and other surgical procedures for terminating the reproductive capacity when it is no longer desired by an individual.
Who is a Sexologist?
Before you understand what a sexologist does, you need to get on board with the term sexology. Sexology used to be a taboo word in Indian society. However, things have changed for the better now and people have realized the importance of their sexual health and wellness. Sexology deals with issues affecting the sexual behaviour and abilities of both males and females. A lot of sexologists like to refer to themselves as sex therapists, sex educators, etc. They’re medical experts who have studied human physiology, anatomy, and psychology along with the science behind sex. They can help educate people about their sexual choices, sexual behaviour, and how to decide what’s right and pleasurable for their bodies.
They can also help educate people about their gender identity and how to perform safe sex. Every sexologist follows a code of Ethics that directs them to be respectful toward the body and sexual rights of every individual who comes to see them. To take care of your sexual health and behaviour, you must consult the best sexologist doctor in delhi for help and guidance on this subject.
What is the Difference between an Andrologist and Sexologist?
Now that you’ve understood what an andrologist and a sexologist does for a living, let’s get on to the differences between the work profile of these two branches.
- An andrologist primarily deals with male sexual and reproductive wellness whereas a sexologist deals with the sexual wellness and behaviour of both males ad females.
- An andrologist works in collaboration with urologists and various other medical branches such as cardiology and nephrology to treat specific medical conditions affecting the sexual ability of an individual. A sexologist does not normally collaborate with other medical branches to treat any sexual behaviours unless indicated otherwise.
- An andrologist is certified to perform reproductive surgical procedures such as sperm harvesting, vasectomy, etc. whenever needed. However, a sexologist cannot perform any surgical medical procedures to treat any sexual conditions.
- An andrologist primarily orders several lab tests to determine whether it is hormone dysfunction that is leading to erectile dysfunction or a decrease in libido. On the other hand, a sexologist employs psychological techniques to understand whether it is stress or any other reason leading to a change in sexual behaviour.
- An andrologist also specializes in performing screening tests to detect prostate cancer in males. However, a sexologist does not look after this condition.
- Some of the treatment options that an andrologist uses to treat sexual dysfunction or reproductive disorders are liposuction, hormone therapy, surgical procedures like vasectomy, psychotherapy, and other medicated options. A sexologist on the other hand prefers to treat sexual dysfunction by first understanding the psychology behind the sexual behaviour of an individual and then prescribing ayurvedic treatments to treat the sexual dysfunction.
If you’re facing any undesirable changes in your sexual behaviour, then you can visit the best sexologist in Haridwar or the best sexologist in India nearest to the town you live in to treat your medical condition. You must educate yourself about your sexual health, behaviour, and wellness to lead an overall healthy life.