All You Need To Know About Dudhsagar Waterfalls in Goa
Goa is the top tourist destination in India. It is a naturally beautiful state with rivers, mountains, and the beautiful pristine beaches. Millions of people from India and from all over the world visit Goa every year fora relaxing and fun vacation. There are many tourist destinations in Goa like beaches, churches, wildlife parks, museums, nightclubs, casinos, and forts. But there is another tourist destination in Goa that is very popular with tourist, especially nature enthusiasts that is Dudhsagar Waterfalls in Goa. This tourist destination is a waterfall on the Mandovi River and is around sixty kilometers from Panaji.
Dudhsagar Falls in Goa – Overview
Dudhsagar Falls is named literally to mean Sea of Milk because these falls look milky because of its force and height. This waterfall is over 300 meters and is measured at 1017 feet which makes Dudhsagar Falls one of the tallest waterfalls in the country. These waterfalls are tiered and have five drops which give the waterfalls a large and grand look. Dudhsagar Falls are more exciting in the monsoon season as compared to dry season when the flow of water is less and force of the waterfalls is not as high as it is in the rainy season.
More Details about Dudhsagar Falls
Dudhsagar Falls is located in the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary and Mollem National Park in Goa. These waterfalls are located in the Western Ghats and they are part of the beautiful landscape of the area. There are other waterfalls and major tourist attractions in this national park and many tourists visit this area in Goa.
These waterfalls are surrounded by biodiversity and there is a beautiful lake at the bottom of the falls. Dudhsagar Falls have been known as a flowing cascade of milk and have been one of the popular places to visit in Goa since the colonial Portuguese rule.
The trek to the bottom of the Dudhsagar Falls is very popular with tourists. Tourists also generally use jeeps to visit these falls and the number of vehicles allowed into the national park is limited every day.
Location and how to visit
- The waterfalls are located on Madgaon Belagavi rail route and the closest station to these waterfalls is the Castle Rock Station which is in Karnataka. The Dudhsagar Waterfalls are situated on the border between Goa and Karnataka.
- The waterfalls are located near the Goan village of Colem. The Sonaulim Railway Station is close to this tourist attraction and tourists can use the railway to visit these falls.
- The falls are sixty kilometers from Panaji and many tourists take a jeep from the city to go and see the falls for a great day trip during the vacation. Taxi service is also available from Molem which is another village close to these falls.
- There is a small entry fee at this national park and extra charges are levied to take cameras to the site of the waterfalls. The falls are away from a major city and usually, the tourists spend an entire day visiting this tourist attraction in Goa.
- Panaji International Airport is the closest airport near Dudhgsagar Falls and Goa is on the coast so it is accessible by air, land and by sea making it very convenient for tourists to visit Goa.
Goa has promoted the tourist attractions in its state well as it relies on tourism for revenue in the state. Goa is known for its casinos, nightlife and beach parties but it is also popular with nature enthusiasts and one of the best honeymoon destinations in India. Goa has many popular natural tourist attractions like the Dudhsagar Waterfalls. A Goa trip should be planned after researching all the tourist attractions to make it a fun and enjoyable trip. Read more about Best Time to Visit Shimla (Himachal Pradesh).