Getting the right dentist that will cater to all your dental needs can be a difficult exercise; for some people, it’s even more difficult than finding a good family doctor. This is because of various unreasonable fears most of us have related to going to the dentist. If you have been putting off finding a dentist for a while, but you need to see one soon, then this guide is for you. Below you will find some tips that will help you to choose the right dentist.
4 Top Ways to Find an Awesome Dentist
With numerous dental facilities in your area, most of the people don’t know what to look for in a dentist. People often go with the dentist recommended by their insurance providers, and things don’t always go in their favor. Follow these simple suggestions to find an awesome dentist:
1. Google it
The first thing you need to do is to search through Google for options near you. Thanks to the Google review system, many users tend to leave reviews for dentists through their Google accounts, and you can use them to shortlist a number of dentists in your area.
2. Ask for Referrals
Regardless of what your reason is for being on the market for a new dentist, get recommendations for a great dentist from your family, neighbors, co-workers, and friends living in your neighborhood. If the reason is you moving cities, then you can ask your previous dentist for a recommendation – this way your previous files will be transferred and your new dentist will be up to speed with your dental history.
3. Do a Background Check
The next thing you need to do is to run a casual background check. The idea behind this is to find answers to questions about their education, their preferred course of treatment, type of anesthesia they use, etc.
4. Visit the Clinic
The last before choosing a dentist is to visit their clinic. Meet the dentist in person and get to know the way their clinic operates. If possible, check the cleanliness of the clinic. Ask for their permission to look at the equipment. Look for signs that might indicate malpractice such as personnel not wearing gloves and other protective gear while treating patients.
7 Factors to Consider when Looking for an Awesome Dentist
In a search for a dentist, besidesknowing where to look for them, it is important to know what factors you should consider when making your decision.
1. Cost & billing methods –An excellent dentist will be affordable and accept your dental insurance if you have one. The dental clinic will accept a variety of payment methods ranging from credit cards to cheques, cash to payment plans.
2. Location –You should have a dentist who is located near your home in case of dental emergencies. It is an awful experience to travel for hours after having a complicated dental procedure when all you want is to rest and sleep.
3. Qualifications – Check their qualifications no matter the title a novice dentist carry. Your new dentist should be registered with a professional body like the American Dental Association (ADA) and be known by the local and state dental society.
4. Office hygiene – If they don’t maintain their office hygiene, then they may not be so good at dealing with your dental hygiene. They should have measures for preventing infections put in place that they should be willing to show and explain to you.
5. Office hours – Can you find them when you are usually available? Go for a dentist whose working hours match your schedule and not those who have rigid schedules.
6. Emergency care – You need a dentist that is always there for you whenever you need them, even during odd hours when an emergency arises.
7. Can they address your fears – An awesome dentist will prepare you fully and eliminate every fear that may be gripping your heart before undergoing any dental procedure. Caring dentists who will make you feel comfortable on the dental chair.
To sum up
Before you settle on one dentist, contact multiple dentists first to see whose experience, working style, character, and approach you like the most. Making a final decision about which dentist to go for, should not be difficult if you follow the above tips. To sum them up – pick a dentist who is more of a partner than a doctor. He or she should be that person you can turn to when you need a coach and advisor for your dental health. Good luck!